Instructions for when you plan to hire a foreign worker

Who needs a work permit?

A foreigner generally needs a work permit, that is, a residence permit for an employed person (TTOL), so that he/she can work in Finland. Exceptions are EU citizens and nationals of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland who do not need a residence permit for an employed person to work in Finland.  Please note that a residence permit for an employed person or other residence permit issued by one of the above countries does not entitle one to work in Finland.

In certain circumstances, a foreigner might be entitled to work in Finland under other residence permit, visa, or visa waiver. These situations are prescribed by the Aliens Act.

If you want to verify whether your situation requires a residence permit or what kind of residence permit is applicable in your situation, please contact the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri).

Obligations of an employer and a contractor for the hiring of a foreign worker

The employer and the contractor must be sure that an foreign worker has the required residence permit or another right to work granted on the basis of another residence permit. The employer shall also ensure that the foreign worker has been granted the right to work in the sector in which he/she is to work with the residence permit. This applies to both future and currently employed workers. If there is no residence permit for an employed person or other authorisation, or the right to work is not in the sector where the employee should be employed, one must first apply for a residence permit for an employed person (TTOL). More information about the application process can be found here

If an employer employs a foreign employee, the employer shall promptly provide the TE Office with a statement of the conditions of the foreigner's employment. The employer must submit the following to the Employment and Economic Development (TE) Office:

​1) core terms of employment and an affirmation that the employment terms comply with valid legislation and the relevant collective agreement (TEM054 form)

2) a copy of the worker's passport or residence permit card

In addition, the employer must inform the workplace shop steward, the elected representative, and the occupational safety representative of the name of the foreigner and the applicable collective agreement. However, there is no need for clarification and declarations when the foreigner to be recruited is a citizen of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland, or a family member of one of the aforementioned nationalities.

The employer is to keep information on all foreign nationals (including EU citizens) and their right to work at the workplace, so that it is readily available if necessary to be verified by Occupational Safety and Health authorities (Regional State Administrative Agencies, AVI). For this purpose, you can use the form found on the AVI website of Occupational Safety and Health. The form can also be found on the useful links website here. The employer shall keep this information for four years after the termination of the foreigner's employment.

The Act on the Contractor's Obligations and Liability when Work is Contracted Out (tilaajavastuulaki) applies to contractors when contracting both domestic and foreign workers.